Behave Spring School on Agent-Based Modeling for Social Scientists
This online school aims to train students on Agent-Based Models (ABM) in NetLogo by using modelling examples from social science research. The course is ideally addressed to beginners but also more experts needing a refresh could benefit.
- Lectures + hands-on training with two virtual rooms in parallel for student assistance
- Some classic ABMs will be coded from scratch in NetLogo. No previous coding skills required during the first course.
- Assistance and customized counselling on personal research projects during the course with leading experts.
- Personal project presentations.
Students will be provided with the theoretical background on the use of ABM in social science research and will learn how to develop an ABM from scratch. No prerequisite on computing is needed. Students will be connected via ZOOM and will be trained with their own laptop. Students are also encouraged to develop a customized project starting from a personal research idea: bring your own model or data if you have, and we will help you! During the advanced course, students will be trained on empirical calibration of parameters with quantitative and qualitative data, validation techniques and model documentation. The last slot of the advanced training will include a session on how to survive peer review and editors when trying to publish ABM studies in scholarly journals.
The 2022 faculty includes:
- Federico Bianchi (University of Milan, Italy)
- Simone Gabbriellini (University of Trento, Italy)
- Nicolas Payette (University of Oxford, United Kingdom)
- Flaminio Squazzoni (University of Milan, Italy, School director)
Fees include: lectures, counseling, materials, videos and online infrastructure.
- Student fees (i.e., Bachelor, Master or PhD students): 400 euros
- Non-student, academics (i.e., post-docs, assistant, associate, full professors): 500 euros
- Non academic, professionals: 800 euros.
To apply to the school, please send your CV and a letter of presentation describing your project and motivation to [email protected] by 21 February 2022. Approval will be notified by 1 March 2022, after which registrations will open.
The registration form with all detail about the payment of the registration fees will be sent by email to all accepted applicants. The deadline for registration is March 14 2022. For any detail and information on the registration, please contact us here.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.comses.net/events/619/